Alcohol and drug addiction is something that affects many people living in Leicester. Not only is substance abuse harmful to their health, but it also damages their career prospects and relationships too.
At Help4Addiction, we’re here to help. Our service connects people who want to resolve their drug addiction issues with suitable rehab centres in the surrounding Leicester area that can best manage their case. Through us, you can get advice for yourself or somebody you love who may be struggling with addiction.
Why Do People Choose To Go Into Rehab In Leicester
The purpose of rehabilitation is to provide a range of services that give people the best chance possible to overcome their addiction. People can go into rehabilitation in Leicester for all kinds of reasons.
To improve personal relationships. Alcohol and drug use can lead to behaviours and health issues which damage relationships. If you cherish your relationships, you may come to realise that substance abuse is damaging the connection that you have to the people around you. At Help4Addiction, we can match you with rehab clinics that can help you stop using drugs or alcohol, improving your relationships in the process.
To restore good health. Substances can damage your health and undermine your ability to get better. Rehab provides a safe environment in which to manage the most difficult aspects of withdrawal while at the same time letting go of your addiction. Once you have stopped using drugs or alcohol, your body will heal, restoring you to a state of health.
To safeguard your work. Substance abuse can wreak havoc on your job and career aspirations. Not only could you fail a drugs test and be dismissed, but your performance could suffer too. Rehab provides a quiet, confidential, and secluded environment, away from temptation, allowing you to overcome addiction. Once you’ve been through rehab, you can refocus away from drugs and alcohol and back on your long-term financial success.
How Rehab Clinics Help People in Leicester Manage Their Withdrawal Symptoms
Getting over addiction to substances is difficult because of withdrawal symptoms. These symptoms occur as a result of the body being out of balance. Drug use changes the chemical makeup of the brain, either by flooding it with particular neurotransmitters (chemical messengers that pass information between neurons) or up- or down-regulating specific receptors. When the brain becomes flooded with a particular type of neurotransmitter after substance use, it tries to make changes to restore the internal environment to a state of normality. Upregulating certain transmitters can produce a “high”, but it also leads to changes that create dependency. A person has to continue to use the substance just to feel “normal.”
The good news is that rehab clinics in Leicester help people manage their withdrawal symptoms by doing the following:
- Providing a safe environment
- Offering counselling and support
- Providing medications, if required
- Offering around-the-clock medical supervision
- Providing great nutrition and plenty of fluids
- Engaging in supportive, life-affirming conversations
- Removing the temptation to use substances
- Delivering a drug- and alcohol-free environment
What Is The Difference Between Residential And Outpatient Rehab In Leicester?
Residential rehab is what most people first think about when they hear the word “rehab.” It is where a patient stays in the grounds of a facility until supporting medical professionals believe that they are in a position to avoid relapse when they return home. Patients get 24-hour support in residential rehab and sleep at the clinic. While there, they receive care and attention whenever they need it.
Outpatient rehab is a setup whereby patients come to the clinic at certain times of day for treatment, but then return home afterwards. This kind of rehab is best suited for people who have gone through the most challenging stages of withdrawal and require ongoing support from professionals or other former substance users to avoid relapse.
What Does “Detox” Mean In The Context Of Drug And Alcohol Rehab In Leicester?
The word “detox” gets thrown around a lot these days. On a day-to-day basis, people use the word to refer to eating a better diet or not using certain cosmetics. But when medical professionals talk about detoxifying, they mean something specific.
Detox in the medical rehabilitation field is the process of overcoming the chemical effects of addiction. The body has to change its chemical makeup to remove the influence of the drug and restore itself to a state of homeostasis (a word doctors use to mean “constant internal environment”). Help4Addiction helps you find rehab clinics in the Leicester area that can help you detox and eliminate your dependency on substances for good.
Do People Suffer Serious Withdrawal Symptoms In Leicester Rehab?
In general, withdrawal symptoms can be divided into two categories: those that don’t require medical attention, and those that do.
- Withdrawal symptoms that do not require medical attention. Beating addiction is a challenging process, with the most challenging element overcoming withdrawal. Withdrawal symptoms include feeling sick, vomiting, stomach problems, anxiety, depression, feelings of panic, and problems sleeping. Most people can deal with these symptoms in the context of a supportive and loving environment, meaning that there is often no need for additional medication. Withdrawal symptoms eventually pass, and the person can get on with their lives and live normally.
- Withdrawal symptoms that do require medical attention. About five per cent of people dealing with alcohol dependency can experience delirium tremens, a type of alcohol withdrawal-related hallucination in which people imagine that they can hear and see things that do not exist. In these situations, doctors may decide to prescribe medications to calm the patient and manage the hallucinations. People in going through withdrawal may also experience dangerously elevated blood pressure, risking heart attacks and stroke, so again, doctors may prescribe non-addictive medications to ensure the survival and safety of the patient.
People With Drug Or Alcohol Addiction In Leicester Should Act Now
There’s no benefit in delaying treatment for addiction. People suffering from substance abuse should act now to protect their health, relationships and careers. Get in touch with us today on 0203 955 7700 and find the right rehabilitation service for you.